On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> as most Linux distros are starting to include Qt 5 in their stable
> official repos and because we are statically linking the Hamlib we are
> using at present it is possible for us to generate packages that could
> be submitted to those repositories without falling foul of their strict
> entry requirements.

Well, static linking required a bundled library exception to be made by the
Fedora board but as your patches made it upstream hopefully a new release
(or as I'm a hamlib maintainer as well) can we just patch up to it or do a
repository checkout?

> To this end I am working through the WSJT-X CMake/CPack package
> generation for Linux with the aim to fully automate package generation
> for Debian and RPM style packages. Richard (KF5OIM) who is our Fedora
> RPM packaging expert tells me that the CMake/CPack tools fall short of
> actually creating a suitable RPM package but nevertheless the closer we
> can get, the smoother the process will be for any downstream packager
> like Richard. With Debian packages I think I can get pretty close to a
> suitable package straight out of the CMake/CPack build.

I've got my spec file setup to build for Fedora and RHEL (and
derivatives)... If we had a Suse person to look at it then I think we would
have the RPM based distro's covered.

Speaking of packaging, it looks like the desktop file could use some
tweaking:

+ desktop-file-validate
/home/build/rpmbuild/wsjtx/BUILDROOT/wsjtx-1.4-1.fc20.x86_64//usr/share/applications/wsjtx.desktop
/home/build/rpmbuild/wsjtx/BUILDROOT/wsjtx-1.4-1.fc20.x86_64//usr/share/applications/wsjtx.desktop:
error: (will be fatal in the future): value "wsjtx_icon.png" for key "Icon"
in group "Desktop Entry" is an icon name with an extension, but there
should be no extension as described in the Icon Theme Specification if the
value is not an absolute path

/home/build/rpmbuild/wsjtx/BUILDROOT/wsjtx-1.4-1.fc20.x86_64//usr/share/applications/wsjtx.desktop:
error: value "Amateur Radio;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry"
contains an unregistered value "Amateur Radio"; values extending the format
should start with "X-"

/home/build/rpmbuild/wsjtx/BUILDROOT/wsjtx-1.4-1.fc20.x86_64//usr/share/applications/wsjtx.desktop:
hint: value "Amateur Radio;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry"
does not contain a registered main category; application might only show up
in a "catch-all" section of the application menu

> One of the requirements for a Linux package is a man page for each
> executable distributed. This can be reduced to a single man page that is
> shared by each program (for example wsjtx and jt9 could be written up as
> a single application). So has anyone written a man page for wsjtx? I am
> putting man page generation into the build using asciidoc as a source
> format and don't want to duplicate any effort that has been made elsewhere.

If wsjtx doesn't accept any command line arguments and is a GUI application
then it doesn't have to have a man page on Fedora... Is Debian different
there?

I will need one for jt9 though.

Thanks,
Richard