I can confirm the extra byte is bogus....I am also running a C# program to
test the commands and don't see any extra bytes via that method.

Once I get the Omni working I'm going to try and track down the extra byte.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Somerville [mailto:g4...@classdesign.com]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 9:06 AM
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Rig control problem with RigBlaster

On 24/11/2014 14:58, Michael Black wrote:
Hi Mike,
> I'm working on it right now...hope to have a fixed hamlib omnivii.c today.
> It was really in alpha stage and was using wrong commands too.
> For some odd reason all commands are returning an extra byte which I
> haven't quite figured out yet but I'm removing the dependency on
> return length and using return format instead which is a better sanity
check anyways.
> So rather than just saying "got 4 bytes all is OK" I look for the
> correctly formatted responses and ignore the extra byte that's coming
back.
I would guess that the extra byte is bogus so it would be nice to find where
it is coming from.

> I've got on guy on hook to test my solution...if anybody else wants to
> volunteer to test an OMNI VII contact me and I'll send you a test version.
>
> I'm also looking for anybody using a Tentec Argonaut, Jupiter, RX-350
> that can confirm it's working OK with a direct com port.  Since the
> OMNI VII uses the tentec2 routine to read from the serial port I would
> suspect/hope that the other models have the same problem.  The extra
> byte has something to with the serial port reading logic.
OK on the serial port logic, the windows code uses a termio emulation that
is a bit dubious in places, it is pretty complex but I do know my way around
it fairly well from resolving prior issues.

There is another outstanding serial i/o issue with the Kenwood TS-570(S)
which is on my list to investigate. In that case bytes are going missing
which could simply be a poor CAT port implementation on the rig but may be
the windows termio emulation as well.