On 22/02/2015 23:52, Laurie VK3AMA wrote:
Hi Laurie,
Firstly, I know of the need to have Monitor off at startup to prevent WSJT-X changing to the last used band. Why this behaviour has been reintroduced with 1.5 is unclear. For me it is very undesirable. But there is a more significant flaw associated with the Monitor button activation. To reproduce...
I am not aware of any change in this behaviour since v1.4.

 1. WSJT-X with cat control (DXLab commander) and Monitor off at startup.
 2. WSJT-X on 10m.
 3. Exit WSJT-X
 4. Change VFO to another band, say 15m 21076.
 5. Start WSJT-X
 6. WSJT-X correctly reporting 15m in the dropdown and frequency,
    Green light. Everything looks good and signals seen on waterfall.

I cannot reproduce step (6), with "Monitor" off the waterfall is disabled, WSJT-X is merely tracking the rig frequency. I did consider not tracking the rig frequency either but the frequency would have to be blank so as not to lie.

 1. Click monitor button to start decoding, WSJT-X instant change to 10m.

This is what is supposed to happen, it was done that way to satisfy many requests that WSJT-X return to the last monitored frequency either when starting with "Monitor" enabled or taking any other action that turns on monitoring. This also satisfies many requests to allow WSJT-X to relinquish rig control, say to work a needed call on another mode or band, and have the "Monitor" button return to the prior working frequency.

Your use case is one of several that conflict, the behaviour since v1.4 has tried to satisfy all cases without introducing multiple setting options.

This is a deal breaker for me. I shouldn't have to use WSJT-X to manage all my VFO changes. I often use the radio for non-WSJT-X purposes and am often on a different band from the last used WSJT-X. Current;ly, to avoid unwanted band changes, I need to use the WSJT-X band dropdown before enabling the monitor button, despite WSJT-X reporting the correct band, I still need to use the dropdown incase the last used WSJT-X band is different.

It is possible to introduce yet another setting to disable returning to the last monitored frequency but is so hard to simply select the band in WSJT-X which will set the working frequency AND enable monitor for you in one step (admittedly two mouse clicks rather than one but you have to grab the mouse anyway to do something to get monitoring going again anyway).

Sorry, this is a backward step from 1.4

I am not able to reproduce this as a regression from v1.4, did you mean v1.3?

de Laurie VK3AMA