Hi Charlie,

Again, I'm replying via <wsjt-devel> since this conversation is
important to others working on WSJT-X code.

G3WDG wrote:
> Noticed a behaviour I hadn't seen before, with r5586.
> When switching off Doppler, dial freq and rig go to bandedge. Previously
> they stayed at sked frequency.

OK, suppose I'm in JT4 mode, have selected
"10,360.000 000 MHz (3cm)" from the drop-down band list, have ticked
"Doppler tracking" at bottom of the Astronomical Data window, and have
entered "100 kHz" and "0 Hz" in the spinner controls at top right.

If I select "None" under Doppler tracking, the frequency readout on the
main window should be "10,360.100 000".  Selecting "Full Doppler to Dx
Grid" should add the number of Hz displayed as "DxDop", while selecting
"Constant frequency on Moon" should add half the amount displayed as
"SelfDop".

In code revision 5596, un-ticking the "Doppler tracking" box disables
all controls on the right-hand side of the window, makes them invisible,
and reduces the size of the window.  In this example it sets the dial
frequency to "10,368.000 000", which seems to me like the right thing to
do.

If you want the dial to stay at "10,368.100 000" (i.e., for the system
to use the "Frequency above nominal band edge" spinners"), you should
keep them enabled and visible.  Does this make sense?

> Who is the best person to ask about why dial freq sometimes jumps to a red
> background while still controlling the rig OK?  I get this occasionally
> and usually get it back to black by touching the rig tuning control,
> reselecting the band, switching modes and various other ways I now forget.
>   Rex got this today with echo mode and none of my fixes seemed to work for
> him.

All of us here are interested in such reports -- especially when they
can be documented as a repeatable bug.  (Rig control of many
manufacturers' products, some of which behave in ways inconsistent even
with other models from the same company, is an unfortunately ugly game.)

> He also had the echobpp=0 issue, but we fixed that.

You'll need to expect some such annoyances when testing code in the
feature-development branch.  Rest assured, your reports are much
appreciated!

        -- Joe, K1JT