From: Steven Franke [mailto:s.j.fra...@icloud.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 2:24 PM
To: WSJT software development
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] r5700

Mike and Bill,

On Jul 8, 2015, at 6:58 PM, Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com> wrote:

On 08/07/2015 19:43, Steven Franke wrote:

Bill,

Hi Steve,

I just updated back to r5700 and the problem that I described yesterday
occurred after the first transmission. I captured the following from the trace
file:

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Unknown command or rig busy 'FA00024924600'

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Retrying shortly

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Unknown command or rig busy 'FA00024924600'

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Retrying shortly

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Unknown command or rig busy 'FA00024924600'

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Retrying shortly

Wed Jul 8 18:35:53 2015
GMT(/home/radio/Builds/wsjtx/HamlibTransceiver.cpp:41)Critical: Hamlib:
kenwood_transaction: Unknown command or rig busy 'FA00024924600'

This behaviour was why we improved the command verification and added
more automatic retries for Kenwood rigs in Hamlib. It looks like we need
even more automatic retries. I would like to know what is making the rig
give busy responses to this CAT command. Is this perhaps while the auto
ATU is tuning? Another instance of this was related to the rig
announcing band or mode changes, I believe that was on the TS-440s which
has a fairly limited CPU capability.

The rig is not auto-tuning (i.e. it is not running the routine that tries to
find the settings that give a match), although since it was requested to change
bands from 15m to 12m and if things had worked properly, it would have looked
up the saved matching-network settings and setting the matching-network relays
accordingly.

The rig is not announcing any changes (as far as I know).

This time (and one of the 4 times that I observed this yesterday) there was no
dialog box. The other 3 times, a dialog box appeared, asking me if I wanted to
re-configure the radio. In all 5 cases, TX Enable turned from red to white. In
the two cases when the dialog box failed to appear, the rig continued to hop in
receive mode. In the cases when the dialog box appeared, the rig stopped
changing bands, whereas the software continued to “hop”.

Would it be more helpful if I switch on “WSJT_TRACE_CAT_POLLS”?

It will help to clarify what happened before this issue. You probably
need to turn on a few options. If you are using a debug configuration
build (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug) then turn on the following CMake options:

WSJT_HAMLIB_TRACE=ON
WSJT_QDEBUG_TO_FILE=ON
WSJT_TRACE_CAT=ON
WSJT_TRACE_CAT_POLLS=ON
WSJT_HAMLIB_VERBOSE_TRACE=ON

if you are using a release configuration build (the default), add this too:

WSJT_QDEBUG_IN_RELEASE=ON

These will write verbose trace to /tmp/WSJT-X_trace.log

OK, I’ve done this. I’ve placed the trace log here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33211132/WSJT-X_trace.log

The error event occurs at 19:13:53.

Note that I have not updated hamlib recently.

I don't think there is any recent Hamlib change that would have caused this.

Steve k9an

Steve k9an