From: Bill Somerville
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:37 AM
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] File lockup issue

On 25/08/2015 15:15, Bill Ockert - ND0B wrote:

  Good morning Joe,
Hi Bill,

  Don’t know if this got fixed in later versions but appears some folks are
having an issue with a locked file in 5789.   This is on an XP machine.
I'll try and help since I implemented the lock file functionality.

The intent is to disallow multiple identical instances of WSJT-X running
concurrently. This is disallowed because it will not work due to the way that
WSJT-X communicates with the associated program jt9.

The message means that a prior instance of WSJT-X is still running or has
crashed ungracefully. It is possible that a defect has been introduced that is
stopping WSJT-X from closing down completely even though it may closed down all
visible windows. For anyone seeing this issue I suggest that they check if more
than one instance of WSJT-X is running by using Windows task manager or
equivalent utility on other operating systems. Make this check while the
message is showing before proceeding.

If no second instance is running then it is possible that a crash is happening
during shutdown before the lock file is removed.

There is no need to manually delete the lock file since there is already an
option to do that in the message box that pops up. The lock file is stored in
the application temporary directory which on Windows is
"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\WSJT-X.lock" for a normal default instance of WSJT-X (not
to be confused with "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\WSJT-X\.lock" which has a dfifferent
purpose).

  Thanks!

  73 de Bill ND0B

  25Aug 14:02 AG0N/6M Gary NE DN81fv =>  Tnx. Is there anything I can do to get
rid of the locked file problem that myself and others are having with the later
revs of X ?
  25Aug 14:03 ND0B/10THRU432 Bill ND EN07gn =>  Not familiar with that.  Can
you give a few details?
  25Aug 14:04 AG0N/6M Gary NE DN81fv =>  If I close down X and later reopen it,
it won't run. Gives locked file error, allows me to try to get rid of old file
but always fails, endless circle. Only cure is to reboot. If I knew where the
loc
  25Aug 14:04 AG0N/6M Gary NE DN81fv =>  ked file was, maybe I could manually
kill it.
  25Aug 14:05 AG0N/6M Gary NE DN81fv =>  this is on 5789
  25Aug 14:06 ND0B/10THRU432 Bill ND EN07gn =>  rr I have been on vacation and
have not even upgraded to 5789.   I wll forwared the info to Joe