Hi Steve,

Some interesting results concerning JT65 symbol vectors.  Your
suggestion (that these these may be false syncs obtained when stepping
in frequency across a fairly strong JT65 signal) sounds plausible.  It
may be significant that the JT65 decoder was designed (and fine-tuned)
for EME, where no signal is "fairly strong" on a scale relevant for HF.
  Your plan for a "dupe" filter sounds perfectly reasonable; it might
also be sensible to look at the code that allows a candidate signal to
get "down the line" far enough to produce these near dupes, without
being rejected on some other grounds.

One thing to keep in mind: JT65 is surprisingly good at decoding two or
more signals even when their tone ranges overlap somewhat in frequency.
  So after a good decode we don't want to (say) kill all other
apparently valid sync conditions within a few Hz.  But certainly it
seems that your "dupe test" should be OK.

Can you send me the wav file that produced those results?  I'll be happy
to have a close look.

        -- Joe