dear list readers,

I use wsjt-X 1.6 up in combination with quisk on an old laptop (dell
x300) with linuxmint 17.1 (ubuntu-trusty)

quisk and wsjtx communicate via hamlib (model 2) on this laptop. The
focus here is on wspr and bandhopping.
The CPU usages is more than 80% by these both SDR-programs (quisk and
wsjtx).

Some times (a few moments up to some hours) the tcp control between the
programs has a communication timeout - a wsjt-x dialog pops up:
Rig control error - do you want to reconfigure the radio interface? (ok,
retry, Show Details.., Cancel)

WSJTX changes state to receive and has no further control of the
frequency of quisk. There pops up the dialog  -- when I push the retry
button, the communication changed into healthy state until the next
timeout event. (moments or hours later)

When I missed this dialog (not looking to the screen all the time) then
wsjtx assumes just -- no TX.
But the bandhopping process is still operating. But no bandhopping is
executed by quisk. -- still on the last selected band. On the other hand
wsjtx reports the decoded stations - now on the wrong band!

****** This is an error! ****

The wsjtx shows in the command line start console:
> QIODevice::write: device not open
> Got a buffer underflow!
> Got a buffer underflow!
rigctl -m 2 -L shows some more available features, which could reduce
the problem:
> write_delay: "Delay in ms between each byte sent out"
>         Default: 0, Value: 0
>         Range: 0.0..1000.0, step 1.0
> post_write_delay: "Delay in ms between each command sent out"
>         Default: 0, Value: 0
>         Range: 0.0..1000.0, step 1.0
> timeout: "Timeout in ms"
>         Default: 0, Value: 2000
>         Range: 0.0..10000.0, step 1.0
> retry: "Max number of retry"
>         Default: 0, Value: 3
>         Range: 0.0..10.0, step 1.0
so the question is:
Is there a simple solution to address and use these parameters inside of
wsjtx? (I fear: no)

Is there a simple addition where these parameters could be edited
outside the dialogs? or only inside the sources?

Further, I recommend wsjtx should ask via hamlib for the actual
band/frequency! -- If no answer is obtained because of the communication
errors, the last band should be assumed, not the momentary ordered
bandhopping band.
So the RX reports are using the correct frequency band.

On the other hand a quick work around could be: more tcp retries, longer
timeout.

And for the future, I like to ask, where I could change in a simple way
(without recompiling personal changed sources) - or is it a feature
request for wsjtx?

Thanks
Michael
DK5HH