        -- Joe, K1JT

From: Joe Taylor, K1JT, on behalf of the WSJT development group

 From time to time we try to bring everyone up-to-date on activities and
plans of the WSJT Development group.

Since December 12, 2015, Version 1.6.0 has been the latest fully
supported general release of WSJT-X.  It now has several thousand
regular users.  If you are using an earlier version of WSJT-X, we
recommend upgrading to v1.6.0.

The active code development branch for WSJT-X is presently called
Version 1.7.  More than 50 users have been compiling code revisions of
v1.7 for themselves and using it on the air.  New features in Version
1.7 (some still experimental) include these:

1.  Submodes JT65B, JT65C are fully implemented.
2.  A new "FT" decoder for JT65; patented KVASD no longer used.
3.  JT65 offers signal subtraction and two-pass decoding.
4.  Further improvements to the JT65, JT4, JT9, and WSPR decoders.
5.  Many improvements to Rig Control.
6.  Improved conveniences for automatic EME Doppler tracking.
7.  A download facility for sample files.
8.  Save/Restore facility for multiple configurations.
9.  New modes: ISCAT, JT9 "wide and fast modes", JTMSK (experimental)
10. Optional auto-sequencing for fast modes.
11. Optional automatic QSYs in response to "CQ nnn" in fast modes.

We are experimenting with two additional modes optimized for meteor
scatter and EME.  These modes, pioneered especially by Steve Franke
(K9AN) and Nico Palermo (IV3NWV) use "low density parity check (LDPC)
codes" -- one of the latest areas of active research in communication
theory.

We hope to be ready to make a candidate release of v1.7 later this
summer.  It will probably contain most (if not all) of the above features.

Because of some recent issues with other users and would-be users of our
code, I will end with several comments that may help to clarify our
copyright and licensing policies.

1. All programs in the WSJT project are open source and licensed under
the GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 3.  We think this policy
serves the best interests of Amateur Radio.  Open source makes it easy
for others to read and learn from our code, and to suggest improvements.
The GPL means that anyone may copy, use, modify, or adapt our code for
their own personal use, in any way they choose.  It is permissible to
use our code (or code adapted or translated from our code) in a program
made for wider distribution, whether you charge for the program or not,
but in such cases the distributed program's licensing must also conform
to the GPL.  Note that our code uses some libraries and algorithms which
are themselves GPL licensed.

2. For added emphasis: It is NOT permissible to use our code (or code
based on ours, a so called "derivative work") in any program unless that
program is itself licensed with terms compatible with the GNU Public
License (GPL), Version 3 or later.

3. Development branches in our source code repository may sometimes
include code to implement experimental protocols or modes.  Anyone is
welcome to study such code and to experiment with it, at home.  But
please do *not* use undocumented modes on the air, or enable others to
do so, before a formal announcement that they are ready for use.  We
prefer to do our development work in the open, using our public
repository, rather than going "underground" during early phases of
development.

     -- 73, Joe, K1JT (for the WSJT Development Group)