From: Bill Somerville [mailto:g4...@classdesign.com]
Sent: Monday, January 2, 2017 11:47 AM
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] MSK144 Timing Flag?

On 02/01/2017 17:12, Bill ND0B wrote:

I posted a few things I am working on a couple of days ago.   This is one of
them and I believe there is room for a single character in the CQ message to
indicate this and a few other operational items.   Here were my comments on
what I propose to develop.

> 8.       If it will fit add a "what the heck I am doing" letter to the

> CQ message for MSK144.   This would be a single letter representing the

> T/R period, SH status and Contest Mode status.   Clicking on this in an

> RXed CQ would change things to match.   Because space is limited this

> would be done by convention using a table.  A first draft of what this
table

Might look like:

                                Standard/SH Off               Standard/ SH
On               Contest/SH Off                 Contest/SH On

60s                                         0
7                                              E

30s                                         1
8                                              F

15s                                         2
9                                              G

10s                                         3
A                                             H

5s                                            4
B                                             I

Reserved                             5
C                                             J

Reserved                             6
D                                             K

Comments welcome.

Hi Bill,

Joe and Steve can confirm but I think this will be hard to shoehorn in. The
encoding of callsigns and grids along with the substitution of type 3
compound callsigns for grid data may not leave enough code space for 28 new
permutations of code word. For sure trying to map it by using a whole letter
in the plain text space is not optimal and working in the codeword space is
more likely to be successful. For example can 28 grid locator values be
freed and is there equivalent space in the prefix/suffix encodings?

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the comments.   I suspected something like this but am still
looking into it / getting up to speed.    This was why I specifically
suggest this apply only to the CQ message as being the shortest, it might,
take on something like this and did coach it with "if it will fit"   This
will be an excellent opportunity for me to learn the ins and outs of packing
in this new protocol.

73 de Bill ND0B