On 25/02/2017 14:27, Игорь Ч wrote:
> 1. Let me know, please, what shall I do to get JTDX licensed in the
> compatible to GPL v3 manner.
> .
> 2. JTDX being published on the JTDX Web site
> http://www.qrz.lt/ly3bg/JTDX/jtdx.html, any other resource just copying
> information from this site, some resources keeping very old software
> versions. There is a little I can do, but will try
> to raise questions to owners of these resources to replace old
> information with the appropriate one.

Hi Igor,

I will try and address the above issues.

The terms GPL or GPLv3 are the names of Open Source licences but the
actual license is the text body that is found on the FSF web site
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html). The FSF prefer that packages
using these licenses provide links to the original licenses if possible.
Where to include this link can be tricky but the intent of the GPL
licenses is that they are "viral" such that all derivative works must
also be licensed with a GPL compatible license and it must be absolutely
clear to users and developers that the license applies and where the
source code and any upstream source code can be obtained.

The safest way to comply is to provide links to the licence text within
the product sources usually with a text file at the highest level with
an explicit name like "COPYING". For binary installers which are
deployed as a single file there must be some way for the installing
users to view and agree to the licence terms, if the WSJT-X NSIS
installer is used by JTDX then that screen should be modified to state
that JTDX is a derivative work based on WSJT-X and that JTDX is itself
licensed under GPLv3 or a compatible license. Since web sites are
usually the first place a potential user starts, it is best to also have
a link the applicable licence right there on the home page as well.
Those three steps to publish the license should suffice.

The following link may be helpful:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

particularly the paragraph:

"If you have copied code from other programs covered by the same
license, copy their copyright notices too. Put all the copyright notices
together, right near the top of each file."

The requirement to include a copyright header in every file is not
slavishly followed and I believe is not required to meet the licence
terms so long as the three locations above are covered. It simply must
be clear to all users that the product is provided under the terms of a
licence which must be readily and unambiguously accessible.

What is important is that just providing lip-service (Говорил день до
вечера, а слушать нечего, I hope the translation is correct and
idiomatic -- hi hi) to the GPL licence when making a derivative work of
something that is GPL licensed is not good enough, it must be absolutely
clear that the author(s) of derivative works provide their contributions
under a compatible but separate license with the same principles and
intentions.