Bill,

I'm currently trying to capture some examples where the WSJT-X waterfall appears to become corrupt with multiple images of signals, along with multiple decodes - I see this fairly frequently when using FT8, and have also seen it very rarely with JT65, including on older versions of WSJT-X (e.g. the 1.7 release).

It's somehow related to something that happens between TX and RX periods - i.e. it doesn't happen at all if TX is never enabled. That would possibly explain why I see it more often with FT8, where RX/TX transitions are much more frequent. Sometimes it "sticks" in its corrupted state and sometimes it clears after a random number of periods (but may just as easily come back again, etc). It *always* clears if the s/w is restarted, and is absolutely an artifact - i.e. it is not "bad signals".

I assumed it was some oddity in my setup that I would just have to put up with, perhaps the fact that I'm using a second, external usb soundcard for the radio. However, I'm seeing reports from other users on the kst chats of the same thing so perhaps there's more to this than meets the eye?

Mark