The WSJT Development Group is pleased to announce a second candidate release of WSJT-X Version 1.8.0. Once again this is a beta release. Most changes since the "RC1" release candidate are related to the FT8 mode, and most new features have already been tested in the field by several hundred users.

Implementation of FT8 and its auto-sequencing feature is now more capable and more polished. The decoder is faster and better: it now includes signal subtraction, multi-pass decoding, and the use of accumulated "a priori" information as a QSO progresses. Sensitivity extends downward as far as -24 dB in some circumstances. Overlapping signals 2 and 3 deep are frequently decoded at essentially the same frequency. On a crowded band we sometimes see more than 30 decodes in a single 15-second interval, over a 2 kHz window. The North American VHF Contesting Mode has been extended to include both FT8 and MSK144 modes.

The "RC2" release also includes many minor bug fixes and an extensively updated WSJT-X User Guide.

We strongly recommend that all WSJT-X users should upgrade to this new release.

Go to the WSJT web site here:
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find a link to the installation package for your Windows, Linux, or OS X system. You can also download the packages from our SourceForge site:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-1.8.0-rc2/

Depending on what code revision you upgrade from, it may be necessary to do a one-time reset of the default list of suggested operating frequencies. Go to *File->Settings->Frequencies*, right click on the table and select *Reset*.

Please report any problems you find with this all-but-final beta release to one of these email lists: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net wsjtgr...@yahoogroups.com . For both lists you will need to be a subscriber in order to post there.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT, for the WSJT Development Group