On 30/09/2017 03:03, Gary McDuffie wrote:
On Sep 29, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Bill Somerville<g4...@classdesign.com>  wrote:

I understand that there will always be a group of users who insist that the old
"Lock Tx=Rx" option is needed
Bill, you seem to be under the false impression that everyone wants to work
split and cares about nothing but DX.  I believe this is false.  I believe most
people are there just to enjoy making contacts.  Every time they get on the air
is not a contest, and they don’t want it to be.  I tried 8144 this afternoon
and found it a good compromise that should handle both sides of the argument
fairly well.  At least that’s how it behaved in my very limited time I had to
spend with it today.

Hi Gary,

you quoted a line of my post  that has nothing to do with what you go on to discuss. I am confused as to which part of my post leads you to believe that I "seem to be under the false impression that everyone wants to work split and cares about nothing but DX." I have no such impression and I don't believe anything I said might imply that. The part you quote was about the misfeature, in my opinion, of "Lock Tx=Rx" which causes your Tx frequency to be effectively controlled by your QSO partner. I have never understood why anyone would want to check that option. A simple example of the problem is where your QSO partner decided to move their Tx frequency mid QSO and thereby drags you to their frequency choice even if it may be right in top of an extant QSO that you can see on the waterfall. I am quite happy to see the back of "Lock Tx=Rx", but the problem is that the latest changes have reintroduced it in disguise.

My concerns were two fold, firstly that the new default of only moving to a callers frequency when replying to a CQ or QRZ call, unless CTRL+double-click is used, is wrong and is skewed towards those operating in non-weak signal situations on bands like 20m or 40m after dark on FT8. I can understand that those getting multiple replies to CQ calls are frustrated with the default behaviour of decoded CQ double-clicks but losing the old behaviour which has been fine for non-congested situations is not helpful, nor intended IMHO, so I was just pointing out that. This new default is also a major deviation from WSJT-X behaviour to date where the focus has been weak-signal working where QRM is not normally an issue to be worked around, in fact QRM would be a show-stopper in these scenarios and working at an offset from your QSO partners would not help.

The second problem is see is that the option to supposedly revert to dropping onto the frequency of  CQ caller when replying was implemented incorrectly and instead behaved similarly to the "Lock Tx=Rx" option. You clearly did not test the behaviour with "Settings->General->Double-click on call set Tx and Rx freqs" very thoroughly in comparison with the prior behaviour which I believe it was intended to restore.