Quite right.  Blind, apparently.  Sorry for the QRM.

________________________________
From: Joe Taylor <j...@princeton.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 7:06:02 PM
To: WSJT software development
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] My Grid in documentation

Hi Dave,

On 10/16/2017 7:08 PM, David Fisher wrote:
> I’m proof reading the 1.8 RC 3 document.  Here’s something I’ve noticed
> before that might be helpful.
>
> As I understand it (and I’m probably wrong), the “Settings, General, My
> Grid” field accepts 6 character grid information such as CM97bq (my
> grid).  I discovered this accidentally when I was trying to figure out
> how to send the full grid information in WSPR messages.  In my view,
> it’s not obvious that all six characters can or should be input, given
> that only four are usually used in FT8, JT64, JT9 etc.  Perhaps a short
> paragraph detailing this would be helpful.
>
> Dave / NX6D

Near its beginning, Section 4.1 of the WSJT-X User Guide includes these
sentences:

"Select the General tab on the Settings window. Under Station Details
enter your callsign, grid locator (preferably the 6-character locator)
and IARU Region number."

As you say, only the leading four characters are used in standard
JT-style messages.  But when they are available, the full 6-digit
locators are used (for example) in computing distances, bearings, EME
Doppler shifts, and the like.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT