Rich, Jay, and all,

The gist of my message was that nobody should be surprised by the behavior of WSJT-X when presented with nonstandard callsigns like 3XY4D (or, for that matter, OX90ABC and other "special event" calls).

No doubt you're correct that 3XY has been used for over 18 years. The callsign compression algorithm used in WSJT, MAP65, WSPR, and WSJT-X has been around almost as long, since 2001. Nobody has complained (or even sent us a polite note) about a need to support 3XY until yesterday.

As emphasized here before, we are a *very* small group of developers, and our available time is limited. We consider it best to devote our time mainly to important innovations -- for example, developments of the sort that have made FT8 such a popular mode.

Of course we want the JT modes to be useful to the widest possible range of ham activities. So, now that we have an interested potential user in a country using 3XY as a prefix, sure -- it would be a good idea to find a way to support his callsign in a transparent way.

As G4WJS pointed out, this task will not be trivial. What would be *really* helpful, time-wise, is for someone else -- one of you guys, say -- to research the situation carefully and prepare a list of commonly (or not-so-commonly) used prefixes that are "nonstandard" in the sense I'm using the term.

If we do something to solve this problem, we do NOT want to do it on a one-prefix-at-a-time basis.

Please be aware that right now, our top development priority is developing an operating submode for FT8 that will optimize QSO rates for DXpeditions.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT