Hello,
I have observed what appears to be a computer-rig communication error on
transmit. I have observed this when either using Tune or in Echo mode - I
am just setting this system up so I have spent little time transmitting in
other modes (the rig worked fine during one QSO at HF).
_________________

Rig: IC-7100, USB CAT control and audio (the rig presents itself as a sound
card), manufacturer's shielded cables with ferrites, Serial Port COM3,
(which is associated with the driver Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART
Bridge, downloaded from the Icom website). (Both audio input and output are
associated with the driver USB Audio CODEC.)

TX power set to 0% and the rig going straight to a 500 W dummy load (so
probably this is not RF-in-the-shack), 70 cm band.

WSJT-X: v 1.8.0 r8193, Echo mode or Tune, Rig set to Icom IC-7100, Com3,
4800/8/2/none, CAT control, rig polling interval set to 1s, Split operation
Rig, Mode None, VHF/UHF/Microwave features enabled, Single decode, decode
after EME delay.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home operating system, 64 bit, v 1709, OS
build 16299.125.

Computer: i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20 GHz, 8 GB RAM

Observations:

On selecting Enable Tx in Echo mode, the program keys the rig repeatedly as
expected for several cycles, perhaps from 10 s to a minute. Then one of
three things happens: 1) the program stops transmittting without an error
message, 2) the program stops and produces an error message "Rig Control
Error" and under details, "Hamlib error: Communication bus collision while
setting frequency", 3) the program stops with a similar error message but
details "Hamlib error: Protocol error while setting frequency".

Similar errors observed intermittently when keying the rig with Tune.

Selecting "Retry" reestablishes the communications with the rig.

Similar behavior observed with the "Allow TX frequency changes..." option
ticked, although Doppler tracking is off for these tests.

On changing Mode to USB, I saw the rig stop transmitting without an error
message, and the "Communication bus collision..." error, but also a
different one: Rig Control Error - "Hamlib error: Command rejected by the
rig while setting frequency".

Similar behavior observed when the polling interval was set to 4s.
I have seen a few similar Hamlib errors described by others, but I haven't
been able to use the information to stop the behavior I observe.

If anyone has any idea of what I am doing wrong, or if this is a real bug,
I would be grateful for the advice.

Lou N2END