On Tue, 2018-05-15 at 11:43 +0100, Mark Turner via wsjt-devel wrote:
> Having just watched another station sending a "CHK TIMING" message
> in
> FT8, which is obviously not likely to succeed...
>
> I was wondering if a non-timing-critical "message" could be added to
> the
> protocol, e.g. four continuous tones - or some such combination that
> is
> unlikely to happen randomly, but could still be interpreted by
> someone
> (and/or the software) who's clock was too far out - maybe a big
> "CHECK
> YOUR PC CLOCK" message could be displayed in their client :)

Why stop there?

Every FT8 message could start with a .1 second
long multi-tone beep, which WSJT-X can synchronize
its own (corrected) clock to automatically upon
reception.

This is short enough that it will not throw off
older versions, but long enough that just a few
strong signals with that multi-tone beep can help
an out-of-sync system correct its clock.

The spacing between the tones can be chosen in such
a way that it will be easily identifiable, like the
selcal system does for HF aero communications.

--
All Rights Reversed.