Hi Dani, Charlie, and all,

As you discovered, I never created a valid scheme for computing S/N in JT4 (as implemented in WSJT-X). I did this today, and tested it with various amounts of simulated Doppler spread. Corrected code will be present in the next released version of WSJT-X.

You also asked about a modified version of JT4 implemented in the Chinese lunar satellite DSLWP-B, which (for JT4G) uses tone spacing 312.5 instead of 315.0 Hz. The distance between lowest and highest tone is therefore too small by 7.5 Hz.

If the Doppler spread is less than a few Hz, this alignment error may cause a sensitivity loss of 1-2 dB. For larger Doppler spreads the sensitivity loss should be less than 1 dB.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT