I just got some interesting results on this problem.  Still working with Mike
W9MDB on various investigations and debugging, we are thinking there is a
timing issue unique to this 8th Gen CPU and chipset or driver bug, resulting in
dropped audio bits someplace, but I thought this is worth sharing now.   I
would also like to give a BIG thank you to Mike for help investigating this
problem with me, it is taking some serious hours.

The no decode at low CPU issue I am having is highly repeatable.  I verified it
works in at least one other mode than FT8 , WSPR.  With FT8 it is easy to find
lots of stations to decode, less so on other bands when I need them, but WSPR
usually always has something to decode, just takes a long time to test.

I then wondered if this issue shows up in older versions.  No stations left to
decode using an older version of WSJT but there are WSPR stations that are easy
to find and decode.  So in the last hour or 2 I installed and ran 3 WSPR
capable  decoding programs (WSJT-X 1.9.1, WSJT-X 2.0, and WSPR 2.12) on the new
laptop in question, and ran WSJT-X 2.0 on an old laptop I am running in
parallel from the same radio line-out source (my reference system).  All 3
programs on the new laptop are on the same audio input source.  So those 3
should give identical results, at least to the limits of their version’s
sensitivity.

Results: WSJT-X 1.9.1 and 2.0 on the new laptop fail to decode complete cycles
when the CPU <10%.  I used a speed test program to push up the CPU usage to 16%
to get the good decodes.  The old laptop on WSJT-X 2.0 decoded fine as always
for all cycles, and the old WSPR2.12 decode all cycles good also, matching the
old laptop results.

So I can recreate the fail to decode issue by simply running any program
(weather, speed, music, HDSDR, Solitaire) that pushes up my CPU utilization
above 10% or so.  If I turn off N1MM+ I can get reliable decodes most of the
time at 6-7% CPU.

We are currently looking at various things, running various tools and
attempting to make sense of this, but I found it most interesting that WSPR2.12
works on the same host when the newer version do not, suggesting to me that a
library change likely happened along the way to make WSJT-X more sensitive to
dropped audio bits.  I have some other older versions that I could try also and
see when it might have changed by experimentation.  Maybe the old versions did
not watch for dropped audio bits as close, don’t know yet.

  *   Mike K7MDL