I’m curious about something I observe about the FT8 signal modulation.

It appears to produce a pronounced spike in the audio at the beginning of each
15 second transmission.

When I operate on 160, 80 and 40 meters especially this spike will cause the
program to stop producing audio.  My computer, a mac mini, is relatively close
to the 160m dipole being used on these bands, about 50 feet.

If I throttle back to -41 dB or so I can make the transmission begin without
stopping the audio, although the spike is still evident.

If I then gradually increase the “Pwr” slider I can increase the power without
causing the audio to crash.

If I leave the power increased the audio will crash immediately after the next
transmission period begins.

Is this a known problem?

73, Ed
W1KOK