If the program on startup finds a valid Internet connection, then check for
an update automatically.  If one is available, download it, or at least
supply a link to the file, and THEN allow the user to install (or delete)
it as they feel.  Make it keep bugging the user on startup of WSJTx until
the update is done.  Most software I use has this kind of feature.

If the Internet is not available, allow the software to run as always, but
put up a warning that suggests the user check the website for an update.
This notice could happen on a weekly or even monthly schedule, or until the
Internet is restored.  Or they could then use another computer with
Internet access, to download the software and install it on the one without
Internet.

As was found with v1.9.1 expiring, many users downloaded it way back or
maybe had someone else install it for them and don't have a clue where to
check for updates.  An update link in the About box would be very helpful
for those that forget where it came from.

WB5JJJ - George