From: Gary Hinson [mailto:g...@isect.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:36 PM
To: 'WSJT software development' <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Monthly ALL.TXT archives

Hi Roy.

I am very active on FT8, clocking up about 900 FT8 QSOs per month and
monitoring open HF FT8 subbands all ZL day while I work on the adjacent screen.

My ALL.TXT typically grows to more than 30 Mb per month e.g.:

[cid:image001.png@01D52C51.0A1E2AE0]

Early each new month, I manually add the previous month’s ALL.TXT to a ZIP
archive.  Luckily the ALL.TXT data structure is very simple so it compresses
down neatly to about 40 Mb per year:

[cid:image003.png@01D52C51.0A1E2AE0]

I sometimes need to check through my ALL.TXT for details of a QSO that someone
has claimed on a QSL card or by email, but doesn’t appear in my Logger32
station log.  It’s easy to open the relevant month’s ALL.TXT section from the
ZIP archive and search for the QSO in question … and almost always I find a
nearly-completed or completed QSO that for some reason wasn’t transferred to
Logger32.

If you try opening the current ALL.TXT file in, say, Notepad while WSJT-X or
JTDX is still running, you’ll probably get pop-up warnings every 15 seconds
that the file has been updated when new decodes are written to it: that doesn’t
happen if you are using a closed/archived ALL.TXT file.

So, monthly ALL.TXTs are worthwhile for highly active stations … and I think
they would be useful for almost everyone.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB