On 26/09/2019 20:21, John Zantek wrote:
Am I standing out on a dangerous limb (NPI), if each QP sponsor decides, then
compiles a branch that supports their QP, and distributes it on their QP web
site?  As a Salmon Run sponsor, I know the desire is significant here (from
inquiries tosalmon...@wwdxc.org), even if some other states may have said NTY.

John,

changing the interpretation of FT4/FT8/MSK144 payload bits is changing the protocol, that special program can no longer use the names FT4/FT8/MSK144 for the mode since users of the official programs will not be able to interoperate with this special version. It is effectively equivalent to not passing all information on air as you need to know that a special version of the software is needed before you can communicate with it. Not only is the above a problem with interoperability but also the signals will sound identical to official FT4/FT8/MSK144 signals and will be decoded, incorrectly, unless some scrambling is also included, like changing the synchronization symbols, so that users of the official modes will not be mislead. JS8CALL is similar in these respects, we insisted that the team that created JS8CALL from WSJT-X both used a different name for the mode and scramble the messages such that the official programs do not decode their message that had non-standard interpretations of the payload bits. Note that JS8CALL does have a reasonably distinctive characteristic that allows it to be distinguished from standard FT8 since T/R periods are not alternated, your proposal would not have any such distinctive characteristics.