On 20/01/2020 00:25, Roger Rehr W3SZ wrote:
Today I noticed a very occasional variation in type 2 UDP network messages sent by WSJTX version 2.1.2.  The issue of variation is that the length of the text message as specified in the UDP message is longer than the "correct" text message length, and in fact the "text message" portion of the UDP message consists of the "correct" text message followed by a number of spaces, followed sometimes other character and finally followed by "a1" before the Low Confidence and Off air bits of the message are given (in their correct position based on the specified "text message" length).

Hi Roger,

thanks for reporting this. The decoded message appendages are an artefact of some rather messy internal implementation details of WSJT-X. The decoder appends some statistical information about decode quality when the decoded message is passed to the user interface part of WSJT-X, the reason for this is historical and the information should be passed as separate fields or arguments but it was simpler to append the text at the time. The extra text should be trimmed off before exporting via the UDP messages although the current content does reflect exactly what is printed on the WSJT-X UI, so it is not technically incorrect. I note also that the "Low confidence" marker is not being set correctly, it should have a true value when there is a '?' character near the end of the message.

I will fix this for the next release of WSJT-X.