It depends on one's own financial situation as to what is moderate or modest cost!

It seems many hams are on retirement incomes so while I agree move things forward for those with modern hardware and/or financial means to improve their hardware, those with perhaps very ancient hardware being used to enjoy their hobby shouldn't be forgotten.

Alan G0TLK