On 09/06/2021 18:22, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
Is there some reasons to think we get a notable performance boost from AVX?

First link I found is not impressive....very few benchmarks show much improvement and many show less and it's at a cost of 30% or so more CPU power consumption...fans will be screaming...looks like it mainly helps on decoding streams.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rocket-lake-avx512&num=2 <https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rocket-lake-avx512&num=2>

Mike W9MDB

Mike,

the AVX instruction set adds vector operations that can do up to 8 float or 4 double operations in parallel during a single CPU clock cycle, for some algorithms up to a factor of 8 throughput is possible. A 30% power consumption increase for something like a 4 fold speed increase of suitable algorithms should be considered rather than just quoting figures you have seen out of context.