Morning all,I know there's ways (as others have mentioned) around it,  but I
keep coming back to,  why aren't we doing it right to begin with?I guess it's
just the OCD part of me that wants to keep everything tidy...  😁Never mind,  it
in no way detracts from the magic of knowing,  with my crap antenna set-up, I'm
still reaching thousands of kms from my house to exchange messages with other
countries!!!I'm now working on building my third antenna,  which will hopefully
allow me to reach even further!!Kudos again on a great addition to our
passion!!73De VK3DVFSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Peter Sumner via wsjt-devel
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> Date: 11/1/22  7:34 am  (GMT+10:00) To: WSJT
software development <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> Cc: Peter Sumner
<vk8...@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Cleaner Updates/Installs Hello
Dave, one way to approach this (what I do) is use the '7ZIP' utility to extract
the contents of the package (right click on EXE file / extract to /
folder-name.  &Zip recognises the packaged EXE as a type of archive file and
will allow you to extract the contents without running the EXE installer.This
then gives you all the needed files in a folder structure, simply copy the
folder to your 'ham radio' folder tree and create your own shortcuts.You are
then free to prune the directory tree for OLD versions whenever you like with
zero impact on the installed packages.  My shack PC does not even show that
wsjt-x is installed on it as far as the Add/Remove programs panel is
concerned.Regards,Peter, vk5pjOn Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM Dave Fitches via
wsjt-devel <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

    Hi folks,

      Firstly - awesome work with the program to everyone involved (past
      and present!)

      Just one nit-picky thing...

      When we have a new version come out, and I install it, it creates
      a brand new Start Menu folder for the new version.

      So I now have in my Start Menu:

          wsjtx 2.40

          wsjtx 2.50

          wsjtx 2.52

          wsjtx 2.54

      Likewise in my installed programs listing in "Add/Remove Programs"
      I have all 4 versions of the software listed. And given the
      program installs to the same location every time it installs, if I
      remove the old versions of the software, it causes no end of
      problems.

      To remove the old versions I have to remove the oldest. Then
      because all the files are gone, to remove the next oldest I have
      to re-install the new version. THEN remove the next oldest.
      ...rinse and repeat.

      To my mind - it should be working thus:

      * If you're installing over an existing version in the SAME
      INSTALL DIRECTORY (Default behaviour), then it should update the
      existing package and update the version number in the Installed
      Programs list to prevent duplicate listings of the same install
      location, and either use a Common Name for the Start Menu folder,
      or remove the OLD Start Menu folder for the previous version
      number and add the NEW version into Start Menu.

      * If you're installing to a brand new directory and there's an
      existing copy installed elsewhere, leave the existing stuff alone
      because some people might want to run an old version and a new
      version, so list them seperately.

      I admit - I have ZERO programming chops to do any of these things
      myself, but I can make constructive suggestions for future
      releases!

      Again - I wish to say I am in awe of the software as it stands!
      These points above are piddling things, especially when compared
      to the joy this program brings to a new Ham Operator working off a
      compromised antenna using QRP, and is still able to make DX
      contacts despite that! If there was a "Donate here to support this
      software" link - I'd be doing it!

      Thanks and 73

      de VK3DVF

      --

          = Dave 'Rusti' Fitches =

         ,--__|\    Dave 'Rusti' Fitches

        /       \   VK3DVF

        \_,--\_x/   * Mobile : +61-419-466-744

               v    * E-mail : vk3...@fitches.com

                      Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

        Please Note: Unless this e-mail has been sent as PRIVATE,
        PERSONAL or

        CONFIDENTIAL, the receiver may forward copies of it on the
        condition

        that they send an advisory message to the original sender.

        If however the message has been marked PRIVATE, PERSONAL or
        CONFIDENTIAL

        prior consent MUST be obtained before the message can be
        forwarded.