Hi Tom,

Your proposal could work in an ideal world.
There are just minor requirements before it is easily done.
#1 There should be a (well) defined and agreed CAT protocol that all rig
manufactures follow.
#2 All rigs should have tested against that protocol.
#3 Resources to design and prepare the test program.
#4 Resources to design and prepare the Hamlib testing harness against the
agreed CAT protocol.

On #1 we have a subset of commands that are commonly used. Even no agreed
minimum responses to commands are agreed. There is no performance requirements
such as timing.
The #2 is a farfetched dream.
The #3, hups, did I mentioned this?
The #4, just what!

In addition there are in some implementations bugs and the public CAT command
set behaves differently than assumed. All those deal to a situation that the
manual testing of most radios is the best way to perform this testing task. For
that we need is the famous 'somebody' to keep it going and reporting to the
Hamlib task force.

Sorry of being to pessimistic, I have some experience on that kind of issue and
now safely retired.

73, Reino OH3mA