On 24/07/2024 14:56, Hibby via wsjt-devel wrote:
Hey Neil,

Don't worry - bubble not burst. I'm choosing to not pick a fight about the specific licensing of the binaries. Arguments about licensing are full of opinions and not very fun. They usually end up in flame wars and cold disagreement, as I think we can see from the previous discussion. I have expressed my opinions via other media as this is not the appropriate stage and people are welcome to disagree via those media.

Putting licensing aside and coming back to more solid facts and discussion of development - we can't include the binaries without the source in Debian (and secondly, we can't include them in debian-nonfree repo without explicit permission to redistribute them from Joe) - this has been said by another Debian maintainer on the list already. It is standard policy for Debian, part of our social contract and free software guidelines [1] that drive the OS.

This means that everyone who chooses to 'apt install wsjtx' or use an in built appstore from our package of rc5 onwards *doesn't* get superfox signing and doesn't get the protection from pirates the feature is meant to offer *unless* they are linux-capable enough to source the binaries for their platform and put them in the correct folder themselves. We can put in an interim solution of shipping something in the nonfree repo which myon asked earlier but didn't get a response to.

This flows down to users of Ubuntu, Mint, Raspberry Pi OS and other systems, which doesn't seem very fair. Also, as far as I'm aware the binaries don't support all of the architectures that we do, so it limits users from being able to play with weird and wonderful machines like risc-v!

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract <https://www.debian.org/social_contract>

Cheers,
--
   Hibby