Bret wrote:
> The threading in the Win32 Ruby implementation is distinctly inferior to
> Perl's. There, i said it.

It's not peculiar to Win32 - Ruby uses "green threads" (implemented using
select()) which all run in the same process.

People claim some benefit from this ("they work the same on all systems") but I
don't see it; I think it's simply inferior to native threading.

Now, regarding workarounds, Win32 can't fork, but can popen. You can use that
open a new related process. I did that to make my AutoIt javascript dialog
handler work - unless AutoIt opens in a separate process, IE waiting on the
dialog will block everything (because it blocks the process, and all threads in
it).

Cheers,
Dave