> I am having a hard time finding how to setup some database libraries
> to make some assertions on my code after driving the UI. Since I am
> primarly looking for general DB access, I have tried ruby-dbi with
> little success by now. Maybe I will try ruby-mysql, but I really want
> something not tied to one database.

A quick Google shows that MySQL has an ODBC interface.  I've been
having good success with the odbc library included in the current Ruby
Windows installation: http://www.ch-werner.de/rubyodbc/odbc.html.  I
assume it's available in the *NIX distro as well.

In some ways, it's nicer than Perl's DBI.  It might lack some
features, but so far it's done everything I've needed, and with just a
little practice, it's really pretty intuitive as well.
-Chris