I had problems using gem remote installs through a corporate proxy server as well. You can however, just download the watir.gem and from the command line do:
> gem install watir.gem
in the directory you downloaded the gem into. That should be pretty simple and will be the same process when you want to download other gems at some point.

Otherwise you might try through an authenticating proxy:
gem install watir -p http://[EMAIL PROTECTED]:proxy-url

Or:
gem install watir -p http://proxy-url
For a non-authenticating proxy.

-Charley

On 5/1/06, Harry Chou <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
I am newbie here. I am still learning Ruby and Watir is the whole
reason I want to learn Ruby. I am afraid other new guys like me need
to learn how to use GEM, before I can use Watir, before I start delve
into Ruby. I am behind coporate firewall, I am constantly having
touble using GEM installation.

I know you will probably say GEM is easy. But, it's not easy for me.
If it takes me more than couple hrs to know how to do it behind
firewall, I am afraid other developers in my team will not bother to
try it.

Maybe I am missing something here. But, wouldn't we want to lower the
barrier for people to use WATIR and even Ruby?