I'm not sure I understand the gist of your message so this might help or not... You can get runtime debugging, breakpoints, etc by using Eclipse with the rdt (ruby development tool) plugin -- see the previous posts on ides. You can also use the Watir logger or Log4r( http://log4r.sourceforge.net/) if you want to add more logging to your tests.

  Otherwise you also might want to look at your framework and/or refactoring some of your code out into a framework, in which case you should practice Test Driven Development and that will help you find what's breaking without having to go into a debugger.

-Charley