Actually, that *is* supported.  However, if you look a sample HTML
<INPUT> element from a page I'm scraping you'll find a clue why that
particular example didn't work:

<INPUT  id=SSNEntry_txtSpouseSSN style=\"WIDTH: 95px\" value=999
name=SSNEntry:txtSpouseSSN>

For text_fields, the current text in the field is contained in the
"value" attribute.  Thus:

ie.text_field( :value, 'xyz' )

Should work for you.

David