-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Adrian Rutter
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 6:21 AM
To: wtr-general@rubyforge.org
Subject: [Wtr-general] Watir Framework (SAFS)

The benefits of SAFS are:

1) It is tool independent (with similar test tables you can use different
tools [upto yet Winrunner, Robot Classic, RFT, some keywords for Abbot).
2) You don't need to know how to program to construct your own auto-tests
3) The test tables can bring different stakeholders together (i.e. BA's,
test-designers, test-automators etc).

Drawbacks.

1) Painfully slow in its implementation and execution.
2) Try version controlling a shed load of spreadsheets
3) The low-level sheets can get a little esoteric.

Watir

Benefits,

1) A scripting language like Ruby is fast and highly productive. Use scite
and irb and your away. I am coming to the conclusion that you don't even
need an ide.
2) The fundamentals of Ruby to learn are easier than BASIC. My team lead
has no programming experience yet she can review my tests.
3) Got a full OO language; I have been utilising streams and threads. Try
doing that in Robot Classic
4) The DSL stuff bret is working on I think will make it even easier for
all project stakeholders to create tests.
5) Why use Excel? What's wrong with text files? Why not keep the test-data
in a hash-map? Everything then is in one place.

Drawbacks

1) I was struggling with how to structure and organise my tests. I have got
something half decent, but still not entirely pleased with it. Something
good needs to be collaboratively created. Nothing exists without a
framework now, but I don't think the answer for Watir is SAFS.

aidy

otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.