Bret asks:
>What is a "ruby attach dialog"?

I was referring to the DOS/ruby.exe window that opens and scrolls through
all the window captions until it finds the File Open dialog.

>I'd be surprised if vmWare itself is the source of your problem. I'm pretty
>sure we have people here who have used it with Watir successfully. True?

I had my sysadmin upgrade the VMWare server to the latest version, and
updated my client as well, and this solved the problem.

VMWare looks to be a useful tool where I work for allowing the developers to
run acceptance tests without spending the time to configure their dev
systems and keep the tests up-to-date locally.