>> Maybe doing the GUI automation isn't such a bad solution.  But let's
>> see if IE gives us this password setting mechanism before we give up.
>>
>How would we do this? I feel like i've already done this, but i'm not
>quite sure if you have something specific in mind.

You mean GUI automation?  I've seen discussions on this list about a
couple of different tools for generic GUI automation, including AutoIT.
I haven't explored them myself, though I've heard good things about
AutoIT.

I have looked at Samie and saw that it has some code that uses Perl's
Win32::GuiTest library to deal with this dialog, though the code in
Samie that calls it needs a lot more work in order to be productized.

Given the conclusion about how IE's navigate method is flawed means that
the authentication in Win32::IE::Mechanize is also broken for pages that
contain elements that are protected by authentication.  It looks like
this authentication code was copied from LWP::UserAgent, which gives the
user control over each individual element because it's not a
browser-based library, and thus wouldn't necessily have the problem.
It still might be interesting to prove that Win32::IE::Mechanize
doesn't work on Chris' site.

-Danny