I have to deal with some pages that contain nested frames, with source from different domains. Some are http and some https. In some cases, while trying to access these frames, I get "access denied":

  irb(main):044:0> ie.show_frames
  there are 4 frames
  frame  index: 1 name: header
  frame  index: 2 name:
  frame  index: 3 name: dtnav
  frame  index: 4 Access Denied, see http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/FAQ#access-denied

I went to the website referenced in the message (nice touch, that) and read up on this situation. I have tried the solutions listed that seem practical in our situation, to no avail. For example, I have changed the recommended security settings in IE. I dismissed aliases in the Host file as being impractical for us: we would go nuts adding and changing aliases on multiple machines all the time because there are many pages, we are using multiple machines, and we are, after all, in development.

I even went to the MS web page about this issue: Cross-Frame Scripting and Security, and tried setting the domain from watir (ie.document.domaiin = ) as they imply might work. No dice. That command will let you broaden your domain, but the "access denied" pages remain denied.

We might have a workaround, but that would require explicitly calling a _javascript_ function from Ruby/Watir without having an event attached to a page element. There has been some information here lately about calling arbitrary _javascript_ functions, but when I checked my archive I did not find a clear reference.

I would appreciate any insight into the "access denied" issue, and if possible more information about how to call arbitrary _javascript_ functions without firing an event from a page element.

Thanks.

Lonny Eachus