This sounds like the same idea as Adrian Lewis' post yesterday, about
adding a message to test::unit. There isn't a way to do this through
the test reporter unless you're talking about assertion strings which
can be added to assertion failures. You can also define your own
assertions using assert_block.
  assert_block "Couldn't do the thing" do
    do_the_thing
  end

Otherwise, use a logger to log your own messages to a file. Ruby comes
with logger as part of the standard libraries:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/logger/rdoc/

-Charley