On 10/25/06, John Lolis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks for the input davemunns, its nice to hear from someone who is so far along in a project.

My only real fear is that of maintaining such a giant library. If you were to leave your company tomorrow, would someone be able to pick it up in time before it got too out of date?

I have a framework along the lines of Mr. Munn's, but mine is organized more along the lines of verbs than of nouns.   I have a high-level controller capable of calling any number of actions implemented in a middle level.  Each of the middle-level actions may use a set of tag-level libraries for our app, kept in a set of low-level scripts.  All of the Watir happens at the lowest level; all of the actions in the middle and upper layers are domain-specific.  My framework isn't good enough to detect GUI changes automatically, but I could do that if I had to.

As for designing one of these yourself, read this article from Kevin Lawrence: http://www.developertesting.com/archives/GrowYourHarness.pdf .  If you don't understand it right away, read it again, and again, until you do.  This is exactly how you create a large, effective, maintainable test framework.