Thank you Bret for your accurate answer,

I will upgrade to watir 1.5, but in the meanwhile i will comment out the
add_checker( navigation_checker ) line.

What exactly does this function do? Actually my question is, how safe is it to
uncomment?

Thank you Bret!!!!

For the others, thank you for your reply.

However those others were not helpful. If you check the console output i
pasted, you will realize that puts cmdButton actually works fine and prints the
properties of the button. Furthermore the error is in a "match" function, not
in the "puts" function. More careful reading next time people!!!