-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bret Pettichord
Sent: 22 February 2007 06:46 AM
To: wtr-general@rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Wtr-general] Watir.. close, but not close enough

John Lolis wrote:
> I don't feel that its a problem Watir needs to solve. If the community
really did want some framework I think it would be a project separate
from Watir. I'm not even sure a project like that would work. Every
application that needs testing is probably going to need a slightly
different approach. If someone attempts to write a 'be all end all'
framework its probably going to end up very complex and hard to
understand (see most commercial testing packages).

To some degree I agree. However, our user's guide tells people how to
use Watir with Test::Unit and so a lot of people group them together.
Indeed, we've had so many complaints about the poor fit of this unit
testing framework for system acceptance testing that I've included
Watir::TestCase in the recent versions of Watir 1.5. Namely, this
TestCase executes its test methods in the order defined and also
supplies "verify" methods that work like assert, but don't abort a test
case when they fail. These were the two most common complaints with
Test::Unit itself by Watir users.

But i do agree that there is a value to keeping Watir small and flexible

and it seems to me that it would probably be better to migrate this new
TestCase subclass to some other project. It could still be used by Watir

users, but they would be free to use whatever test harness they wanted:
Test::Unit or Rspec or this new thing or maybe something they built
themselves.

Bret

Everything in this e-mail and attachments relating to the official business of
MultiChoice Africa is proprietary to
the company. Any view or opinion expressed in this message may be the view of
the individual and should not automatically
be ascribed to the company.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or
copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender immediately by email, facsimile
or telephone and destroy the original message.