At the moment, WATIR is kicking my butt in a small way.

I want to use an assert() inside a class that is require'd by a test class.

So it's
require 'includeFirst'

$x = MyStuff.new

class TC_blah
    def test_blah
        $x.verifyAndGo("blah")
    end
end

and inside includeFirst.rb

require 'watir'
require 'test/unit'

class MyStuff
  def verifyAndGo(linkName)
    assert($ie.link(:text, linkName).exists?)
    $ie.link(:text, linkName).click
  end
end

When I try to execute it, it tells me that it can't find assert.

  1) Error:
test_001_clientSearchLinkExists(TC_ClientAdmin): NoMethodError: undefined
method `assert' for #<OnrLib:0x2d86c2c>
    ./includeFirst.rb:32:in `verifyAndGoToLink'
    Z:/.../WATIR tests/clientAdmin-nu.rb:26:in `test_001_clientSearchLinkExists'

I'm sure this is dead simple, but it's got me stumped at the moment.