Hi Nicola, you could try something like this:

excel = WIN32OLE::new('excel.Application')
       workbook = excel.Workbooks.Open('C:\Documents and
Settings\kennedyn\My Documents\WATIR_RUBY\excel

_testdata2.xls')
        worksheet = workbook.Worksheets(1) #get hold of the first
worksheet
        worksheet.Select
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] = []
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] = worksheet.Range('a1:z1').value # The data is in cell
a1.
        #puts @mydata # to c wether the content is in the array.
        excel['Visible'] = true # hide the spreadsheet from view

line = '1'
while val = worksheet.Range("a#{line}")['Value']   #pull the value
stored in the cell while it's valid
  ie.goto(val)                                    #use the value
  line.succ!                                      #update the line number
end

This will only loop through for the first column a(1-end of valid values).
You can expand it to pull an array if you want.

-Charley

       workbook.close
        excel.Quit