In Watir 1.5 there is support for adding elements fairly easily so that you
shouldn't have to call getElementsByTagName directly. We haven't added
headings yet, but most other common elements are supported and easily
extended, you could put the following in a file and include it in your
scripts:

module Watir

 class H2   < NonControlElement
   TAG = 'H2'