I'm not familiar with the auto extender, but I'm assuming it works on
basically the same principle as this:
http://demo.script.aculo.us/ajax/autocompleter. If you use IE developer
toolbar on this page and enter text into the text field, you'll see that the
dom is updated with a div, id of contact_name_auto_complete, class
auto_complete which contains a list of names. The following script works and
might give you some idea how to procede:

require 'watir'
include Watir

ie = IE.start('http://demo.script.aculo.us/ajax/autocompleter')
ie.text_field(:id, 'contact_name').set('al')
ie.text_field(:id, 'contact_name').fire_event('onkeypress')    # need to
fire a key press event after setting the text since the js is handling
keypress events

# the li/lis tags are available in watir 1.5.1
puts ie.div(:id, 'contact_name_auto_complete').lis.length
puts ie.div(:id, 'contact_name_auto_complete').li(:index, 5).text
ie.div(:id, 'contact_name_auto_complete').li(:text, 'Alan Jochen').click

hth,

Charley