I had occasion today to measure page load times in anger using
FireWatir.  I don't have a regular Watir installation handy, but I
know Watir tracks the latest page load times in a variable called
"down_load_time" or "download_time" or something similar.

FireWatir doesn't have this feature.  I used the venerable
wrap-a-timer-around-the-click technique stolen from Mike Kelly, which
is pretty painless, but it made me think.

I'd like to make two suggestions: first, that the value be renamed
"page_load_time" instead of "down_load_time", because "page loads" and
"downloads" are different things.

Second, that this value be added to FireWatir at the same time that
it's refactored in Watir.

And, it would be really nifty if Watir and FireWatir could actually
share the same physical code files, such that a change to the function
of "page_load_time" would be instantly available to both platforms.

It seems to me that this would be a good spike to explore merging the
shared code between the two platforms.

I could, of course, be wrong, but I thought making the suggestion was
worthwhile.