I have recently started using IE & on both my personal laptop and my
company machine. And i've noticed that some of the Watir tests were
failing because they were looking for IE 6.

Specifically IE 6 windows are "Microsoft Internet Explorer" and IE 7 are
called "Windows Internet Explorer".

The simple fix was to just change the string, which will make the code
work with IE7, but it will now break with IE6. Making it work with both
is more complicated.

Frankly, I was surprised that I hadn't heard more complaints about this.
Is any one besides me actually using IE7? Does any one care about
retaining support for IE6?

This issue really only affects our support for popup windows and the
like -- which is already pretty broken anyway. Maybe no one is using it,
which is why i've seen no complaints?

Please share your thoughts on this topic?

This issue is being tracked under this ticket.
http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR-125