Bret, I was simply thinking of upgrading because changes were made, and you
said it was working for you on the CVS "trunk" build, I didn't go line by line
or anything and try to see if there was a change that I thought would fix the
issue.

I have tried running ruby from the command line, same problem: rubyw.exe
script.rb

I have manually installed watir before, but had problems, everyone said to use
the "gem" method, I did, and it worked. So I haven't tried installing manually
since.

The reason I want the directory to stay the same is that I run all of my
scripts from that directory currently, and I have a complex environment in
place, so that when the directory path changes, and I re-install my scripts
(various scripts, not just ruby), I have to update about 30 different locations
of that directory path. I mean, it only takes like 10 minutes, but it would be
nice to not have to do it (I have lots of shortcuts, etc).

If I could figure out a way to get a script to run outside of the watir
directory (like off of C:\Scripts) without failing due to " `require': no such
file to load -- watir (LoadError)", then I could store my scripts outside of
the watir directory and it wouldn't matter. I have been trying things all
morning, still no luck.

I tried using RUBYOPT=rubygems env variable, RUBYOPT=-rubygems (found it both
ways online).

I got it to kind of work when I used the following:

require 'rubygems'
require_gem 'watir'

However, I also use:

require 'watir/contrib/ie-new-process'
require 'win32ole'

and they still bomb out. I can get around it by specifying the full path, but
that is the point, not relying on that directory path...

I've been searching the forums for a solution, so if anyone has an idea that
would be awesome. I just want to be able to house/run my ruby scripts from a
different location than the watir gem install folder...